Central Presbyterian Church Web Site Heading

Central Presbyterian's History

Central Presbyterian was founded on May 15, 1927, as a mission project of First Presbyterian Church, Miami on Brickell Avenue. The new church was named Central because it was located in the middle of 1920s Miami just west of downtown. Over the next 50 years Miami expanded out in all directions.

By the late 1970s, Central Presbyterian was no longer located in the center of Miami because the center had moved. In 1978, under the leadership of Rev. Bob Polland, Central Presbyterian moved about 20 miles from downtown Miami to its current location on a six-acre parcel of land at 12455 SW 104 Street in West Kendall. After meeting briefly at Arvida Middle School, we moved into the first building constructed on the new site, Cumbaa Fellowship Hall.

BibleThe new sanctuary was completed in 1986. The sanctuary seats approximately 450, has a state-of-art audio-visual system and an infant room overlooking the sanctuary. In addition to Cumbaa Fellowship Hall, there is a house (the “Annex”) that has been converted for use by the youth and as staff offices and meeting rooms, and a prayer garden used for private meditation and outdoor services.